Although kale chips have been all the rage in recent years, grilled broccoli is starting to make its way to the top! In this recipe, we show you how to make the perfect pesto grilled broccoli to accompany our Edamame & Hemp vegan dumplings.
Plant-based and packed with nutrients
We have three vegan dumpling options, including our Edamame & Hemp dumplings. Sweetened with kumara and made with hemp seeds and protein from The Hemp Farm, these are an easy and delicious way to get essential nutrients into your diet. Hemp has one of the most nutrient-packed seeds out there. Hemp hearts, which are the edible inside of a hemp seed, are made up of nearly one quarter protein and are packed with fibre. This makes them the perfect choice for plant-based recipes like this one as you’re still getting your protein in!
The best pesto out there!
You can use any pesto of your choice in this dish, but we recommend Genoese Plant-Based pesto. The basil is grown on the company’s own farm in Fiji and flown to New Zealand weekly to be blended into their signature pesto. It’s hard to beat for freshness and flavour, and in our opinion is one of the best quality pesto products in the market!
To make this recipe completely vegan, their plant-based option is perfect. They replaced the parmesan with nutritional yeast to create a product that is not only completely vegan, but tastes just like the real thing! Nutritional yeast is an essential for anyone who wants to reduce their dairy intake without sacrificing cheesy flavours. It’s also packed with protein and often comes fortified with B-12 so is a perfect dairy replacement. Alongside our vegan dumplings, this creates the perfect plant-based meal!
The toasty hack – it’s life changing!
Something that sets our dumplings apart is that they’re pre-steamed before you buy them! This means that they only take five minutes to cook after thawing. In this recipe, we use our toasty method for a quick and easy hack that’s perfect for meals on the go or at work! All you have to do is pop your dumplings in an oiled sandwich press for five minutes and you have a healthy, delicious meal ready to go. You can even put them in between some baking paper sheets for a dish-less meal!
And don’t forget the sauce!
We recommend serving this meal with our Mum’s Sauce and Chilli Oil! Mum’s Sauce is Vicky’s mum’s secret recipe – it’s like soy sauce, only so much better! It’s the perfect accompaniment to dumplings, especially with the earthy flavours of edamame and hemp. Of course, if you’re a spice lover, our Chilli Oil is a must! In many Asian cuisines, chilli oil is a staple. It goes with rice dishes, noodles dishes and of course, dumpling dishes. Try our authentic and delicious Chilli Oil and you won’t look back!
Vegan Edamame Dumplings with Charred Pesto Broccoli
- Sandwich press
- 2 tbsp Genose Vegan Pesto
- ½ head of Broccoli
- The Good Oil
- ½ pack of House of Dumplings Edamame Hemp Dumplings
- Leave your Edamame & Hemp dumplings out on the bench to thaw for approx. an hour. Preheat your oven to 220°C.
Making the pesto broccoli
- Cut broccoli into little florets. In a small bowl, toss the florets with a dash of vegetable oil, salt and cracked pepper.
- Line a tray with baking paper and arrange florets in a single layer across it. Grill on high heat for 3 minutes, or until golden.
Cooking the dumplings
- Place two heaped tablespoons of pesto in a mixing bowl. Add broccoli straight into the bowl after taking it out of the oven. Toss to coat!
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in the sandwich press. Toast dumplings for five minutes or until golden.
- Serve dumpling with the pesto broccoli. To add flavour, top with our Mum's Sauce and Chilli Oil or add some more pesto. Enjoy!