Never let leftover rice go to waste again with our ultimate vege fried rice! Paired with our Vietnamese Pork and Kaffir Lime dumplings, this is the perfect easy comfort food. Leftover rice is perfect for stir-fries as its slightly drier, meaning it stays crispy in the pan. No more sludgy stir-fry, this recipe will make fried rice just like your local takeaway shop!
What veges to choose?
The beauty of a stir-fry is that you can use up all the vegetables in your fridge in one, delicious meal! Pretty much any vege will work well in this dish. The classics that we love to use are onion, carrots, mushrooms and bok choy but really, anything works! You could mix it up a bit with cauliflower and baby corn, add some sweet bell peppers or even shredded cabbage for an added crunch. The versatility means that this recipe will work all year round, as you can use whatever is in season. You should vary your cooking time based on the vegetables you choose. For example, cook onions, mushrooms and carrots a bit longer to make sure they’re nice and soft. Crunchier vegetables like bok choy and beans don’t need to go in for as long!
The perfect pork!
You could pair this fried rice with any of our dumpling flavours, but we chose to use the Vietnamese pork dumplings for this recipe. Wrapped in a delicious green spinach pastry, these dumplings bring the flavours of Vietnam straight to your plate. Kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and galangal are all mixed together to create a gorgeous flavour that pairs perfectly with the stir-fried veges. To make sure that these dumplings are the best of the best, we use free-range pork from Woody’s Farm! This pork is from heritage breed pigs that are raised by Daniel Todd and his family in the Wairarapa. Happy pigs make delicious pork, so our dumplings are top quality!
Vietnamese Pork Dumplings with Fried Rice
- ½ pack of frozen Vietnamese Pork and Kaffir Lime Dumplings thaw in room temp for 30 mins
- Any veges you can find in fridge (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of leftover rice
- House of Dumplings Mum’s Sauce + Chili Oil
- Leave the dumplings out to thaw on the bench for half an hour.
- Prep the vegetables by chopping them finely. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl.
Cooking the stir-fry
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add vegetables and cook for around 4 minutes until onion is softened (if using).
- Once cooked, place vegetables in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add a teaspoon more oil to the pan, keeping it at medium heat.
- Pour the whisked egg mixture into the pan and spread it out so it forms a 'pancake' shape. Sprinkle over some chilli flakes (optional) to add extra spice!
- Cook until the egg is cooked through, and then transfer onto a plate.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the pan, and then add the rice. Cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Add the vegetables and egg to the pan with the rice and mix together.
- Add a good drizzle of Mum's Sauce to the stirfry and season to taste.
- Serve up the stirfry on to plates.
Cooking the dumplings
- Add a drizzle of oil to the pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the dumplings on the pan and pan-fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve the dumplings on top of the stir-fry. Top with extra Mum's Sauce and Chilli Oil (optional). Enjoy!